Minority Male Success Initiative will equip young men with the skills necessary to reach the highest levels of academic, professional, and personal development using these five target objectives:
- Improving Recruitment, Retention and Completion of Student Resources
- Providing awareness of Student Services
- Increasing Job and Career Readiness
- Developing Personal Networks and Partnerships on Campus
- Increase community engagement
The “Success Center” will be a bridge that connects our MMSI students to the resources and services they can utilize in understanding their higher education, professional, and career options while in the program.
The “Success Center” enter is designed to be a “safe place” where any Minority Male students can come to discuss problems he may be having on or off campus, get help with his course load, learn about the established programs on campus, or just relax in between classes.
Any student, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or religious beliefs is welcome to utilize the center as a forum for discussing issues pertaining to minority groups and learn more about diverse populations.
If you have any questions or would like more information concerning the minority male success initiative, please contact Mr. Hakeem Ward by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monday-Thursday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Friday 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.*
Special events and programs will be scheduled and planned for Caswell Campus participants
*MMSI program adheres to the standard operating hours of Piedmont Community College
We believe all of our students can succeed and achieve their full potential. We will embrace inclusion and cultural diversity among faculty, staff, and students. We strive to be a place where the diversity of ideas, values and perspectives is welcomed and nurtured. We expect integrity, responsibility and ethical behavior in all of our relationships and hold one another and our institution accountable.
All Mentors and participants are expected to uphold the vision of the program as detailed in our Mission Statement. Participants are expected to exhibit behaviors that reflect motivation, interest, and hard work. We encourage our students to attend every class (in person or virtual), put forth effort to understand the material and to be prepared to learn. Students are expected to conduct themselves with maturity, integrity, and deliver high quality work at all times.
MMSI Participants will:
- Participate in MMSI Orientation
- Complete program intake form and survey
- Provide Program Coordinator and Mentor with class schedule
- Receive program provided supplies & resources
- Attend all scheduled MMSI events, counseling sessions, and Mentor meetings
- Arrive to physical and virtual classes 10 minutes early
- Maintain a “Dress for Success” appearance
- Maintain a GPA of no less than 2.5 for each semester
- Maintain grade check appointments every 4 weeks, adhere to mentor/counselor recommendations and tutoring sessions.
Services Provided to MMSI Students
• Financial Literacy
• Student Resources
• Life Skills
• Professional Development
• Health and Wellness
• Leadership Opportunities