PCC’s Human Services Technology program prepares students for entry-level positions in institutions and agencies which provide social, community, and educational services.
Along with core courses, students take courses which prepare them for specialization in specific human service areas. Emphasis in core courses is placed on development of relevant knowledge, skills, and attitudes in human services.
Fieldwork experience will provide opportunities for application of knowledge and skills learned in the classroom.
Students can also apply to take the Human Services Board Certified Practitioner Exam upon graduation with an Associate’s Degree in Human Services Technology, which will allow them to become certified as Human Services Board Practitioners (HS-BCP).
|Required Courses for Program|
|ACA 122||College Transfer Success ***|
|BIO 111||General Biology|
|CIS 110||Introduction to Computers|
|COM 231||Public Speaking|
|ENG 111||Writing and Inquiry|
|ENG 112||Argument-Based Research|
|HSE 110||Introduction to Human Services|
|HSE 112||Group Process I|
|HSE 123||Interviewing Techniques|
|HSE 145||Child Abuse and Neglect|
|HSE 210||Human Services Issues|
|HSE 220||Case Management|
|HSE 225||Crisis Intervention|
|PSY 150||General Psychology|
|PSY 241||Developmental Psychology|
|SAB 110||Substance Abuse Overview|
|SOC 210||Introduction to Sociology|
|SOC 220||Social Problems|
|SWK 110||Introduction to Social Work|
|SWK 113||Working with Diversity|
|WBL 111||Work-Based Learning I|
|WBL 115||Work-Based Learning Seminar I|
|Total Semester Hours Required for Degree = 68|
Courses with matching symbols indicate OR/AND requirements.
Review back page or contact Student Development for more information.
Outlook for Employment
Graduates should qualify for positions in mental health, child care, family services, social services, rehabilitation, correction, and educational agencies. Graduates choosing to continue their education may select from a variety of transfer programs at senior public and private institutions.
Process for Admissions
- Submit a completed Application for Admission to the Office of Admissions.
- Submit official transcript(s) of high school education and all post-high school course work to the Office of Admissions if requested. Office GED scores or transcript of courses for the Adult High School Diploma may be submitted in lieu of the high school transcript.
- Complete the Admission Placement Test.
- Diploma and certificate admission requirements may vary. Contact the Admissions Office for details.
Suggested Course Sequence - Full Time Student
|ACA 122||College Transfer Success||0||2||0||1|
|CIS 110||Introduction to Computers||2||2||0||3|
|ENG 111||Writing and Inquiry||3||0||0||3|
|HSE 110||Introduction to Human Services||2||2||0||3|
|HSE 112||Group Process I||1||2||0||2|
|SOC 210||Introduction to Sociology||3||0||0||3|
|ENG 112||Argument-Based Research||3||0||0||3|
|HSE 145||Child Abuse and Neglect||3||0||0||3|
|HSE 225||Crisis Intervention||3||0||0||2|
|SWK 110||Introduction to Social Work||3||0||0||3|
|PSY 150||General Psychology||3||0||0||3|
|SOC 220||Social Problems||3||0||0||3|
|COM 231||Public Speaking||3||0||0||3|
|HSE 123||Interviewing Techniques||2||2||0||3|
|HSE 220||Case Management||2||2||0||3|
|PSY 241||Developmental Psychology||3||0||0||3|
|SAB 110||Substance Abuse Overview||3||0||0||3|
|BIO 111||General Biology||4|
|HSE 210||Human Services Issues||2||0||0||2|
|SWK 113||Working with Diversity||3||0||0||3|
|WBL 111||Work-Based Learning I||0||0||10||1|
|WBL 115||Work-Based Learning Seminar I||1||0||0||1|
|TOTAL SEMESTER HOURS REQUIRED FOR ASSOCIATE DEGREE: 68|
Dean, Health and Public Safety
(336) 322-2213 | L107
Coordinator/Instructor, Human Services
336-322-2137 | L116
Coordinator, Caswell County Campus
(336) 694-8060 | K107
Other Online Programs
- Accounting and Finance
- Associate in Arts
- Associate in Science
- Business Administration
- Early Childhood Education – Career Option
- Early Childhood Education – Transfer (Non-Teaching)
- Early Childhood Education – Transfer (Teaching Licensure)
- Google IT Support Professional Certificate
- Human Services Technology – Addictions and Recovery Studies
- Human Services Technology – Gerontology
- Medical Administrative Assistant EHR Specialist – Online (Career Step)
- Medical Coding & Billing Part I & II – Online
- Public Safety Administration – Correction Services
- Public Safety Administration – Emergency & Fire Management Services
- Public Safety Administration – Law Enforcement Services
- Public Safety Administration – Security and Loss Prevention
- Small Business Center