State Authorization is a legal issue dealing with a college’s adherence to state requirements for colleges to secure authorization to offer instruction in that state. Institutions offering distance education courses or programs must provide current and prospective students with the contact information for filing complaints with the college, its accrediting agency, and with the state agencies that handle complaints in the students’ state of residence.

Piedmont Community College is currently authorized to offer Distance Learning courses in all states with the exception of California.

Student Complaint Resolution Procedure

Piedmont Community College (PCC) is a member of the North Carolina Community College System (NCCCS). Students are advised to begin the process at the institutional level.

PCC’s Student Grievance Policy  

State of North Carolina Complaint Process

For additional information, please contact:

Shelly T. Stone-Moye, Vice President, Student Development; (336) 322-2163
Person County Campus
P.O. Box 1197, Roxboro, NC 27573

Dr. Barbara Buchanan, Vice President, Instruction/Chief Academic Officer; (336) 322-2106
Person County Campus
P.O. Box 1197, Roxboro, NC 27573

If a complaint cannot be resolved through the institution’s complaint process, students may file a complaint with the North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints unit. Please review the NC Post-Secondary Education Student Complaint Process, print and complete the NC Post-Secondary Education Complaint Form (PDF) and submit the complaint to:

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
c/o Student Complaints
University of North Carolina System Office
910 Raleigh Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688

Phone: (919) 962-4550
Website: North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints

SACSCOC Student Complaint Process

If for some reason the complaint is not satisfactorily resolved, the next step would be to file a complaint with Piedmont Community College’s accrediting agency. PCC is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate degrees, diplomas, and certificates. Students who file a complaint with the accrediting agency should follow the SACSCOC Complaint Procedure.

The contact information for SACS is:

1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097
Telephone: (404) 679-4500
Website: The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges

SARA-NC Complaint Process

Students may also file a complaint through SARA-NC. SARA-NC is the portal for North Carolina. Students should follow the SARA-NC Complaint Process and use the SARA-NC Complaint Form.

SARA-NC Contact Information:

SARA North Carolina
North Caroline State Education Assistance Authority
P.O. Box 14103, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
T: (855) SARA-1-NC (727-2162
T: (919) 549-8614, ext. 4667
Website: SARANC (

Professional Licensure

If you are considering a program at Piedmont Community College that leads to licensure or certification and you do not live in North Carolina, please contact the dean of the degree program to discuss licensure options. Click Professional Licensing Board Disclaimer and Contacts (License/Licensure Information) for more information.