Robertson experiences success after earning nursing degree at PCC
Alumni Spotlight with Jessica Robertson
By Chris Forton, Coordinator, Alumni and Student Relations
After obtaining her Bachelor of Arts in Sociology at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Jessica Robertson was eager to pursue a career in nursing. While exploring her options, she decided that Piedmont Community College was the place for her to begin her journey.
Jessica loved that PCC was close to home, and how it was incredibly affordable. While applying to enroll in the nursing program, she was amazed by the friendliness and helpfulness of her advisors. “I found the admission process to be smooth at PCC; and the staff and advisors were very helpful in coordinating my admission,” says Jessica.
As soon as classes started, Jessica realized that her instructors had diverse nursing experiences. She knew that because of their knowledge, she would be able to understand the many dimensions of nursing.
Jessica also stated that the small, intimate classroom settings were vital to her success while working towards obtaining her Associates Degree in Nursing. Coming from a larger University like UNC, she was not familiar with “1 on 1” sessions with instructors. The ability to build that relationship and connect with her instructors helped make Jessica very successful.
Jessica is now a Clinical Services Nurse IV at Duke Hospital! Below you will find a list of her many accomplishments.
• University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Bachelor of Arts in Sociology (2005)
• Piedmont Community College, Associate Degree in Nursing (2009)
• University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Bachelor of Science in Nursing (2013)
• Oncology Certified Nursing (OCN), 2012 – present
• Clinical Services Nurse IV, Duke University Health System, 2009 – present
• Alliance of Aids Services of the Carolinas Volunteer, Raleigh, NC, April 2016 - present
• Duke Health Empathy, Belonging and Cultural Competence Educator, 2016 – present
• 2015 Duke Friends of Nursing Award Recipient
• 1 of 9 nurses recognized as Duke Hospital’s 2015 Nursing Excellence Exemplar
• Recipient: Advancing Care Through Professional Growth
• Coauthor of abstract/poster presentation of Higher Symptom Burden is Associated with Lower Function in Women Taking Adjuvant Endocrine Therapy for Breast Cancer, presented at the annual geriatric convention in National Harbor, Maryland, 2015
Thank you Jessica for all that you do to serve others, we are extremely proud to call you a Pacer!
Remember, as soon as you successfully complete ONE class at PCC, you are officially alumni! Visit www.piedmontcc.edu/alumni to learn all about becoming an official member of the Alumni Partnership at PCC!
To share your story, contact Chris Forton at Chris.Forton@piedmontcc.edu or (336) 322-2103. #pccpacerpride