A Roxboro Area Chamber of Commerce Good Morning Coffee Hour, in honor of National Entrepreneurship Week, was hosted by PCC’s Small Business Center and Business Development & Entrepreneurship Center on Wednesday, February 24.
“It’s National Entrepreneurship Week and it doesn’t stop here”, commented guest speaker John C. Loyack, Vice President of Global Business Services for the Economic Development Partnership of North Carolina (EDPNC), during the event.
Loyack went on to share that EDPNC, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation, oversees the state’s efforts in business and job recruitment and retention, international trade, and tourism, film and sports development. For existing industries, the partnership offers Business Link of North Carolina (BLNC), a Regional Industry Team, and an International Trade Team.
Coffee Hour guests learned interesting facts about small businesses and industries in North Carolina, such as: one in three industries is tied to international investment; 1.6 million people are employed by small businesses/industries in North Carolina; there ARE 833,000 small businesses and industries across the State of North Carolina.
Loyack reminded everyone that EDPNC offers something for “heritage industries”, such as agriculture and furniture, as well as new businesses, including aerospace, robotics, and biotech.
In addition, Small Business Centers, located at community college sites, offer a great deal of assistance to small businesses, according to Loyack. In fact, 771 small businesses opened in North Carolina last year and 58,000 individuals received direct assistance through programs and services offered through the 60 plus Small Business Centers.
“I can’t talk about our community colleges enough”, continued Loyack. “Their Small Business Centers offer many opportunities for new and existing small businesses and industries, including free seminars and customized training.”
PCC’s Small Business Center, located at 105 North Main Street in Uptown Roxboro, offers free seminars monthly. The next opportunities to attend are:
• How to Write a Business Plan (March 8)
• Financing Options for Small Businesses (April 21)
• Marketing Your Business (May 3)
• Successful Sales on Amazon (May 4)
• eBay Part 1 – Starting Your Business on eBay: The Basics of Selling on eBay (May 4)
• Turn Your Passion Into A Business on Etsy!!! (May 11)
• eBay Part 2: Building Your Business on eBay: Beyond the Basics (May 11)
• LinkedIn: How to Use LinkedIn to Grow Your Small Business (May 18)
• eBay Part 3: Understanding eBay Stores: Selling from Your e-Bay Website (May 18)
• Pinterest for Your Small Business (May 25)
• eBay Part 4: Selling Items on eBay with Your Mobile Device (May 25)
To learn more about these and other services offered by the Small Business Center, visit http://www.piedmontcc.edu/Community or call (336) 599-0032.
Photo: Holly M. Yanker, BLNC Manager, Economic Development Partnership of North Carolina; John C. Loyack, Vice President, Global Business Services, Economic Development Partnership of North Carolina; Debra Seamster, Interim Director, Small Business Center; Alicia Chambers, President / CEO, Chamber of Commerce