Piedmont Community College (PCC) inducted nineteen students into the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society on March 25. Students were invited to join the honor society based on their academic performance by having at least twelve credits completed in their core curriculum and obtaining a minimum grade point average of 3.5.
PCC’s local chapter, Alpha Upsilon Theta, is a member of the Carolinas Region which includes all chapters charted in North and South Carolina.
Regional chapters collaborate at conferences and meetings at least three times per calendar year, competing regionally and internationally for scholarship and project awards. Members of PCC’s Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society recently attended a regional conference where they received the following recognition:
· Award of Excellence For Outstanding Participation in the Carolina Regions Service
Program: Connecting the Carolinas Through Service
· Award of Excellence for Outstanding Participation in the Carolina Regions Honor in
· Carolinas Region Super Stars
· Achieved Four Star Level in the Five Star Chapter Plan
· Three students received a Carolinas Region Hall of Honor Award: Joel Daniel, Lisa Fowler, and Tricia Davis
· Distinguished Chapter Officer Team
· Advisor, Edna Brown, received the Distinguished Advisor Paragon Award
· President, Dr. Walter Bartlett, received the Distinguished College President Award
Two PCC students, Felipe Coyote and Lisa Fowler, were inducted into the Phi Theta Kappa Alumni Association.
PCC’s Alpha Upsilon Theta chapter has been very active during the 2014-2015 academic year. The team is currently working on “The Get OUT Movement”, a project that will provide Outdoor Utilization Training equipment to the Parks and Recreation facility in Yanceyville, NC. Alpha Upsilon Theta members will also participate in a 5K Run to support Autism Awareness in late April. The 5K team is selling awareness magnets for $5.00 each to cover the $25.00 entry fee. If you are interested in sponsoring a student’s entry fee, or buying a magnet to help the team, contact Heather Barker at 599-1181 or Edna Brown at 336-694-8059.
Photo: PCC’s Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society 2015 Inductees
Back row: Jennifer Tillman, William Thomas, Christian McLaughlin, Kenetrius Jackson, Trenton Istre, Gregory Garland, Dr. Walter Bartlett, President, Piedmont Community College; Lauren Burrows
Front row: Andrea Unger, Robin Talley, Jackie Montoya, Wendy Garibaldi-Prado, Amanda Cowell, Michael Farmer, Veronica Cameron