All enrolled students, faculty and staff can utilize VDI. Access is enabled by default for all faculty, staff, and students. Faculty or students needing access to specialized applications or pools should contact the help desk.
VDI can offer several benefits for PCC students, including:
- Access to specialized software: VDI allows students to access specialized software and applications needed for their coursework from any device, making it easier to complete assignments.
- Flexibility: Students can access their virtual desktops and applications from anywhere, at any time, and on any device, providing the flexibility needed to accommodate busy schedules and remote learning.
- Increased productivity: With the ability to access desktops and applications from anywhere, students can be more productive and complete assignments more efficiently.
- Improved collaboration: VDI allows students to collaborate with their peers and instructors in real-time, regardless of their location, improving the overall learning experience.
- Enhanced security: Sensitive data and applications are stored on the server instead of individual endpoints, reducing the risk of data breaches and malware attacks.
Overall, VDI can provide PCC students with a secure, flexible, and efficient solution to access the resources they need to succeed in their studies.
Here are some devices that can utilize our VDI solution:
- Desktop and laptop computers running Windows, Mac OS, or Linux
- Tablets and smartphones running Android or iOS
- Thin clients
- Zero clients
- Internet of Things (IoT) devices
In general, any device with an internet connection and a compatible web browser or Horizon client software can be used to access virtual desktops and applications provided by VMware Horizon our VDI solution.
Compatible Web Browsers
Our VDI supports a variety of web browsers for accessing virtual desktops and applications. Here are some of the most commonly used compatible web browsers:
- Google Chrome (recommended)
- Mozilla Firefox
- Microsoft Edge
- Apple Safari
For the best experience, it is recommended to use the latest version of one of these web browsers.
In addition to web browsers, our VDI also provides client software for Windows, Mac OS, Linux, iOS, and Android devices, which can offer enhanced performance and functionality compared to accessing virtual desktops and applications through a web browser. The client is highly recommended for all users utilizing a tablet.
Information technology recommends that you have an Internet connection with at least 300 Kbps bandwidth (up and down stream) with latency of no more than 150 ms.