Distance Education Online Orientation Course
Welcome to Distance Education at Piedmont Community College! We are excited that you are taking online classes with us. This page lists the steps to enrolling yourself in the online Distance Education Student Orientation Course in Blackboard. The Student Orientation Course is a non-credit course designed to provide students with information about Blackboard and online learning in general. It contains short video tutorials and other engaging materials.
Students who are taking online or hybrid courses should complete the self-paced Distance Education Student Orientation. This course provides instructions on how to get started with online courses and provides tips and resources for being successful within the online learning environment.
The Distance Education Student Orientation is accessible through Blackboard. A step-by-step tutorial is provided below.
Self-Enrollment in Blackboard
To self-enroll into a Blackboard course, users must have a working Blackboard account. Students should be able to self-enroll within 48 hours following registration for classes.
- Log into Blackboard, http://piedmontcc.blackboard.com . Your username is a combination of your first initial, middle initial, last name, and the last two digits of your student identification number. Your password is your student ID number.
Password: 0123456 (your student identification number)
If you did not register with a middle name, use your first initial, last name, and the last two digits of your student ID number. If your last name is hyphenated, include the hyphen.
- Once logged in, click on the Courses tab.
- In the "Course Catalog" module, click the Student Orientation folder.
- Locate the "Student Orientation and Blackboard Tutorial" course, move mouse over the Course ID and click on the double-down arrows to enroll.
- Click Enroll. In the Self Enrollment screen, click Submit.
- Scroll to the bottom-right; click OK to complete the enrollment process.
- You are now enrolled in the course and can begin working on the orientation!
Login Instructions: Distance Education Online Orientation Course
For those who feel that they need additional assistance with Blackboard, the following face-to-face tutorials will be available:
Person County Campus
January 6, 2017, 10-11:30 a.m., H218
January 6, 2017, 2-3:30 p.m., H218
Caswell County Campus
January 6, 2017, 10-11:30 a.m., K206
January 6, 2017, 2-3:30 p.m., K206
If you need individual assistance, please contact Angela Vaughn, firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 336-322-2138.
All students new to distance learning must take the SmarterMeasure Learning Readiness Indicator assessment. When the semester begins, please send a copy of your assessment results to your online instructor(s).
To log in, visit http://pcc.smartermeasure.com/.
- Username: piedmont
- Password: online
If you have any questions, please contact:
Dr. Libbie McPhaul-Moore, email@example.com,
Angela Vaughn, firstname.lastname@example.org, 336-322-2138