Gain marketable skills in PCC’s BioWork Process Training course this August
Providing students with marketable skills to become a manufacturing technician, Piedmont Community College’s (PCC) BioWork Process Training course is an exciting opportunity for high school graduates, individuals who have lost their manufacturing job, and those who would like to start a new career.
Biowork Process Training can lead to an evtry-level position as a process technician and is an affordable way to invest in your future (the full course is less than $325!).
Combining the basics of manufacturing technology and the fundamentals of science – two essential needs for competent technicians working in biotechnology, pharmaceutical manufacturing, and chemical manufacturing, PCC’s next Biowork course will begin with a free 30-hour orientation.
This free orientation, offered August 7 – 21 on Mondays and Wednesdays from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. at the College’s Workforce Training Center located at 303 South Morgan Street in Roxboro, will introduce students to:
• A BioWork training overview
• Requirements to complete the full BioWork course
• Blackboard, - PCC’s online course delivery system
• Study skills for success
• North Carolina Career Readiness Certificate (CRC) assessment
• Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment System (CASAS) assessment
In addition, individuals who meet eligibility criteria and successfully complete the free BioWork orientation course may receive financial assistance to enroll in the full BioWork Process Technician course. Orientation is an optional course for those not seeking financial assistance.
The full 16-week BioWork Process Technician course will begin August 23. Classes will meet each Wednesday and Thursday from 4-6 p.m. on PCC’s Person County Campus. This course will include classroom and online instruction will offer the following instruction:
• Your New Job
• Working Safely
• Measuring Process Variables
• Transforming Matter (Chemistry)
• Learning the Nuts & Bolts
• Controlling the Process
• Sterile Processes (Microbiology)
• Growing Living Cells (Cell Biology)
• Job Seeking SkillsWhat Can I do with the Skills I Learn at PCC?
Bioprocess technicians are involved in the making of products such as antibiotics, bleach, cosmetics, deodorant, detergents, paint, plastics, Post-It notes, shampoo, and soft drinks.
North Carolina ranks number three in the nation in the number of biotechnology companies. According to a report by the NC Biotechnology Center, jobs in the pharmaceutical industry are among the highest paid manufacturing jobs in the state. Earnings vary based on skill and experience, but the average salary is $15 per hour. Job titles include:
• Bioprocess Manufacturing Technician
• Aseptic Manufacturing Technician
• Manufacturing Preparation Technician
• Formulation and Fill Technician
• Packaging Technician
• Process Technician
• Manufacturing Associate
• Chemical Equipment Operator
• Chemical Plant and System Operator
To get started on your career, contact PCC’s Workforce Development Team at (336) 322-2156 or the Workforce Training Center at (336) 599-4620. Financial assistance is available to qualified unemployed, underemployed, and economically distressed individuals.