Completing the FAFSA
Student Aid Report
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.gov
- The application is processed by the Department of Education two ways—online with Pin or online without Pin by printing a signature page. Online with a pin should take 3-5 days to process. Online without a pin, should take 5-7 days.
- Student receives a Student Aid Report, by mail or by e-mail if the e-mail address is provided
- Schools that the student listed on FAFSA will receive an Institutional Student Information Record
- School receives the Institutional Student Information Record and determines which additional documents are needed from the student and/or parents
- Student Aid Report indicates students and/or parents ability to assist with payment of educational cost. This numerical value is called the EFC (Expected Family contribution)
- Students are mailed an award letter which indicates the amount of financial aid they are eligible to receive (Pell, SEOG, NC Community College Grant, NC Education Lottery Scholarship)
- Unless noted, the award letter is based on Full Time Enrollment-12 hours or more. Additional paperwork regarding Financial Aid policies will be included
- Students are able to charge their books and supplies in the bookstore during the dates scheduled for that term. The schedule is mailed with the award letter.