Download a copy of the Distance Education Student Handbook
There are many advantages and disadvantages which students should be aware of before selecting a distance course.
- Distance learning courses allow students to work on their own time rather than report to class at a particular time.
- Travel time and expense is greatly reduced.
- Distance learning courses allow students to work from home or office.
- Students who prefer written communication may do well in distance learning courses.
- Students may get to know faculty and other students on a deeper level in an online course since many are more inhibited in a classroom setting.
- Distance learning students may miss the face-to-face interaction with students and instructor.
- Students who are not disciplined and self-motivated may find it a challenge to keep up in a distance course.
- Students who are poor typists or who are lacking in technical skills may be at a disadvantage in a distance course.
- Distance learning courses may actually take more time than a traditional course.
- Students may experience occasional difficulty to immediately reach other classmates and/or instructor through technology.
What skills do I need to succeed in a distance learning course?
There are two categories of skills that you should possess, technical and study skills. As for technical skills, you should know basic word processing, how to send and receive emails, how to send and receive attachments, navigate the Web, and basic knowledge of Windows or Macintosh operating systems. As for study skills, you should be self-motivated, manage your time well, have good communication skills and be diligent. Patience and a sense of humor are also helpful!
Are you ready for a distance learning course?
Find out by completing the SmarterMeasure assessment! It will take you about 45 minutes from start to finish but you may log out and complete it later if necessary. After you login, you will receive an email from SmarterMeasure with a PIN number that will allow you to log back in later or view your results again. Your SmarterMeasure score will not prevent you from registering for online classes. It is a tool that will help you assess your strengths and weaknesses related to distance learning in 6 areas:
- Life Factors
- Individual Attributes (procrastination, time management, willingness to ask for help, academic attributes)
- Learning Styles
- Technical Competency, Skills, and Knowledge
- Reading Rate and Recall
- Typing Speed and Accuracy
You will receive a full color report immediately following the completion of all areas of the SmarterMeasure assessment. It also provides some remedial tools to help you strengthen your weaknesses.
To access SmarterMeasure
click on this link, http://pcc.smartermeasure.com
Username - piedmont
Password - online