Resident Status

Residence Status for Tuition Purposes

North Carolina law (G.S. 116-143.1) requires that to qualify for in-state tuition, a legal resident must have maintained domicile in North Carolina for at least 12 months prior to enrollment. The legal residence of a minor may be that of the parents, surviving parent or legal guardian. Nor person loses in-state status by serving in the Armed Forces outside of the state of North Carolina.

Regulations concerning the classification of students by residence for purposes of applicable tuition differentials are set forth in detail in “A Manual to Assist the Public Higher Education Institutions of North Carolina in the Matter of Student Residence Classification for Tuition Purposes”. The manual is available in the Student Development Office.

Out-of-state residents working in North Carolina may have their employer pay their tuition at the in-state rate. A limited number of family member and employees transferred to N.C. may qualify for the in-state tuition rate. Check with the Office of Admissions for more information.